Monday, February 9, 2015

30 Things

It is a milestone year for me. In a little over 6 months I am turning the big 3-0. I have mixed feelings about this. By mixed feelings I mean I have anxiety mixed with dislike mixed with a little gratitude. I am grateful for many reasons but also feeling overwhelmed that my twenties are behind me with the thirties breathing down my neck. The truth is my life is nothing like I imagined when I was younger. That being said, I wouldn't change one thing. That's not true. I would change my ability to keep up with chores and the number on the scale, but we'll have  those for my New Years resolutions. Every year. 

So in the spirit of turning 30 this year I thought I would do a 30 things about me post. I am not an open book...at all. In fact many of my good friends have said they feel like they don't really know me. The only person that I am always myself around is Brian. I live with a bit of a wall up and he constantly tells me to knock it down. So I am gonna try. Here we go:

1. I scare easy. Not normal easy. If I am brushing my teeth and Brian walks in (not even sneakily) to do the same, I scream. I make Brian announce himself before entering a room and that also scares me. No I don't enjoy it. Don't try and scare me. 
2. I am NOT a morning person. If you wake me up from a nap, watch out. Brian learned that when we were dating, the hard way. 
3. I try to eat healthy. Actually I usually eat healthy, but I LOVE processed food. I grew up on straight from the garden delicious fresh food but I love all things packaged. I love Spagettios (even cold), Ramen, marshmallows, freezer pot stickers, Cheez-its you name it. I rarely buy these things because I will eat the entire package at an alarming rate. Not kidding. 
4. I used to be a competitive roller skater. I don't feel like elaborating...or explaining...
5. From ages 11-20 I was a vegetarian. Someone told me they didn't think I could go without meat, so I did. For nine years. Also I am never going back because...bacon. 
6.  My favorite candy is Mambas. 
7. I taught myself to drive a stick shift. I had to because I was not an easy teenager and my dad didn't deserve the beating he got for trying to teach me. 
8. I love dogs. One of my favorite pastimes is visiting animal shelters. 
9. I started to like Brian after he cut his hair. I had known him for a couple of years and then one haircut and that was it. 
10. I get hives in my throat and ears when I eat pineapple. Worth it. 
11. I have had 3 surgeries on my left knee.
12. I love made for TV Disney movies. Luck of the Irish, Double Teamed; you know, the classics....This was probably one of those that I should keep to myself. 
13. I love Harry Potter. But really, doesn't everyone?
14. I don't enjoy cooking. I wish I did. I do it purely out of necessity. 
15. My favorite shows are Parenthood and Friends. I can (and do) quote Friends frequently. I am actually watching Friends as I type this. 
16. Over a weekend in college my roommate and I drove to Minnesota (from Idaho) to visit a friend without telling our parents.   
17. I have travelled to 8 countries outside of the US: Mexico, Canada, Greece, Italy, France, Austria, Switzerland, and Germany.
18. My favorite color is grey. 
19. Brian and I got married in the Oakland, Ca LDS temple.
20.  I have a BS in Health.
21. My favorite holiday is Halloween. I usually pick out my costumes a year ahead of time. Now that I have 4 more people and a dog to dress up I am in heaven. 
22. I am strangely good at ping pong. 
23. I have never dyed my hair. I have always wanted to but now that I have made it this far I feel like I can't do it. 
24. I have lived in 6 states (including Hawaii) and Maine is my favorite. Brian has lived in 7 and feels the same way.
25. I am truly scared of the dark.
26. The country at the top of my travel bucket list is New Zealand. 
27. My favorite music genre is Country. Reminds me of my dad listening to the radio as he made breakfast everyday before school. 
28. I worked as a waitress through college.
29. My most embarrassing moment was throwing up on my gym teachers shoes in front of the whole class my first week in college. I still cringe thinking about it. 
30. Deciding to have kids is by far the best and most challenging thing I have done. I never saw myself as a mom and it still feels strange. When did I become a 30 year old mother of 2! Happened overnight. 

Do you feel like you know me better? I hope so. Here's to another 30!

ps//Writing this all down reminded my of the Friends episode when they all turn 30. Man that's a good show. Also that makes me think I want to write down a before 30 bucket list a la Phoebe but with 6 months left that may be a bit too ambitious.




2 comments:

  1. This was so fun to read, Tara! I love reading lists like this. I definitely know you better, now! I couldn't agree more about Friends. It's my all time favorite show. I've seen every episode multiple times. Joey and Phoebe will forever be my favorites. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I love finding Friends fans. I was just telling Brian that Joey and Phoebe's friendship is my favorite!

      Delete