Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving Weekend

We had such a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! Our first Thanksgiving in Maine and we had visitors. We were lucky to have Brian's sister and her family all the way from southern California. It is a long trip to Maine and we feel so grateful they made the effort. 

We started our holiday with a "friendsgiving". We were invited to celebrated at a friends house with a lot of people and TONS of food. I haven't been that full in a while! On Friday I woke up early early to hit the stores. I didn't have any specific things in mind that I wanted to buy but I like the excitement of shopping on black Friday. While the girls were still in bed I picked up some hot cocoa, cranked up the Christmas music, and hit the outlets. As I was driving around listening to Perry Como with the snow coming down I felt overwhelmingly full of Christmas spirit. I can't believe I am saying this but I am loving the snow right now. 

After shopping we decided to build a snowman while we waited for our visitors. We started to build a snowman and it turned into just throwing snowballs at Goose (his favorite). Amelia is the sweetest little snow bunny.

I know I said this already but we were so grateful that we had visitors. While we love Maine and it feels very much like home, we miss family. A lot. It feels like little pieces of our hearts are missing and when we see family a couple of those pieces are back for a short time.  Cousins also have the best bonds. They were instant buddies and Amelia was in heaven. 

First stop, the Nubble Lighthouse. One of our favorites. 
All the girls. 
Saturday we woke up and had a little Christmas celebration. After opening gifts we hit the road to Portland. Our first destination was another lighthouse, Portland Head in Cape Elizabeth. I love this spot. The views are fantastic from this spot and you can see a couple more lighthouses if you walk around. 

It was freezing!!!! (and I left my coat in the car)

After the lighthouse we went into downtown Portland for lunch. Portland is known for it's restaurants and it did not disappoint. We ended up at The North Point. Huge portions and really really tasty. I give it 4 out of 5 stars ;) We also hit up East End Cupcakes, obviously. Also delicious. If you are in Maine make sure you hit Portland for the food. It's worth it. 

Since our family came from California they don't get a lot of snow time. We had to try out some sledding before they were on their way. The hotels near our house are closed for the winter and have great hills. We bundled up, grabbed our $5 disc sleds, and hit the hill. So. much. fun. 
There has never been a happier kid. Ever.

Not to be left out Colette rolled over from back to front for the first time this morning. Milestones seem so silly but they are always exciting. I caught a picture right after she did it. 

We were sad to see them go. They are off on an adventure to New York City and I am jealous :)  I can't wait to hit New York during the holidays. When the girls are a little older I would love to add that to our traditions.  

The whole gang. Tripod for the win. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend! Let the Christmas countdown begin. Actually let the countdown begin until our next visitors. 11 DAYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment