Monday, September 17, 2012

Amelia's Birth Story

And it goes a little something like this.....

I've had  a couple people ask me to post Amelia's birth story so I thought I would get it on here while it is still fresh in my mind.  So we know that she was born on Sunday August 26th, but my contractions actually started on my due date August 22nd.  The contractions started in the morning but were irregular and then started to become more frequent and a little stronger around dinner time. I started timing them and they were running about 10-12 minutes apart.  They were not very strong and so I figured this was early labor.  My contractions ended up staying at 10 minutes apart all night, so I didn't sleep much Wednesday night. I had a Dr. appointment on Thursday morning and Brian stayed home from work to come with me.  My Dr. let us know that I was dilated to 1 centimeter and in early labor.  We were excited! She guessed that Amelia would come in the next 24 hours.  Well that obviously didn't happen.

My contractions stayed at 10 minutes apart all through Thursday, and were slowly getting a little stronger.  We were told to come to the hospital when the contractions were 5 minutes apart lasting for 1 minute for an hour.  We were getting there very slowly.  Finally on Friday night we were at a BBQ and my contractions were coming 5-6 minutes apart for the entire night.  It was also getting hard to walk and talk through the contractions.  We decided ahead of time that we were gonna stay at home as long as possible, so we were gonna wait until the contractions were either unbearable or 3 minutes apart.

Saturday morning came with very little sleep for the last 3 nights. Brian and I decided to try and speed things up and go on a long walk.  At this point the contractions are still 5 minutes apart but I could no longer walk through them.  We ended up walking for about an hour and by the end the contractions were 3 minutes apart.  We figured we would call the hospital and head over there.  We ended up stopping for lunch on the way hoping to labor away from the hospital as long as possible.  I was really struggling at this point.  We made it to the hospital around 4pm and they put me in a triage room to watch the contractions and check me after about an hour.  After an hour of monitoring my contractions the midwife came in to check my cervix.  She didn't have the best news for me.  I was only dilated to 2cm.  I was surprised since I had been having contractions for so long.  I was opening up so that was good news but it felt like I was going to be in labor forever.  The midwife said that I could take a walk and come back in a couple hours or I could go home.  Brian and I decided that it would be best to head home because Goose was there and I could relax a little more at home.

On the way home from the hospital the contractions were around 4-5 minutes apart and still getting stronger.  We stopped to pick up some dinner on the way home and I couldn't believe I was only at 2 cm.  I was really starting to feel these contractions, I kept thinking how can I only be to 2! When we got home I headed straight to the bathtub and tried to help me get through the night.  I was definitely practicing my hypnobirthing at this point but I knew it was going to be a long night. The contractions were a little too strong for me to even eat dinner so I just focused on relaxing and headed to bed around 8pm.  Well for anyone who has had contractions knows that they are impossible to sleep through so the rest was not happening.  I was able to sleep in 1 minute increments and then would jump out of bed to endure the contraction. I felt that I could relax easier when I was standing.  Well I did this through the night and jumped in the bathtub two more times to help.  Poor Brian was trying to help but the only thing that helped was when I was able to relax enough.

We put off going to the hospital until I really felt that I had made it closer to the end.  I kept thinking, "if I'm not at least 5cm then I will be shocked".   At around 5am I decided that it was time we head over there.  I now had contractions really strong about 1-2 minutes apart. Walking out to the car I had the pleasant experience of vomiting in the neighbors lawn (sorry about that).  The drive to the hospital was about 25 minutes and it was not an easy 25 minutes. A bumpy car ride is not a way I recommend enduring the last little bit of labor.  When we got to the hospital I walked the long walk to labor and delivery and I remember telling Brian, "If this is not the end of labor then I can not imagine how bad it will get".  When we got there I starting throwing up again and I actually started laughing cause I just felt to tired.  I think I had hit my limit. The midwife hurried in to check me and said, "wow, you are 8 cm".  What a relief! I was so happy that I had been able to stay home until this point.

I had decided on the way to the hospital that if an epidural was an option that I would get it.  I was so tired that I felt that I may need some rest to get through the pushing.  When the midwife said that I was 8cm I was sure that it was too late, but because my labor had progressed so slow they said that I could do it.  I will say that even though the original plan was to not have an epidural I was relieved to have one.  Once I got the epidural, I almost immediately fell asleep.  My progression continued very peacefully and I could not wait until it was time to meet our little baby! I got the epidural around 8am, my water broke around 9:30am and they said it would still be at least an hour until I started pushing.  I was putting all my positive thoughts into the delivery and was finally feeling that my energy levels were coming back. At about 11:50 I started feeling some pressure, which translates to the need to push.  I let the nurse know and she confirmed it was time. I was so excited! She didn't call the midwife yet because she felt that the baby was still high and I would be pushing for a while.

After about 50 minutes of pushing I decided that I would be done in 15 minutes.  Brian laughed at me and said that I put too much pressure on myself.  Wouldn't you know that 10 minutes later Amelia made her debut. I was determined and in all honestly I was done being pregnant.  The midwife made it just in time and while it was not glamorous it was beautiful.  The midwife caught Amelia and Brian looked over and announced that it was a baby girl.  We were so excited! While the gender was a surprise I think we knew all along. They put her on my chest cleaned her up and I was overwhelmed.  I was happy, nervous, excited, and so many emotions.  Brian was such a good support system and the perfect partner.  We fell in love with this little stranger and could not wait to get to know her.  It has since been a blissful 3 weeks and we are learning so much about ourselves.  Everyday is an adventure and I honestly look forward to doing it all over, even with the long labor :)

No comments:

Post a Comment